[PP-F9] Old Yeller <<Guardian of Fire>>

And then only one remained. As Omen had predicted, the only thing they were lacking was a bold strategy. The one that remained was singled out, alone, its companions felled, and soon to follow the rest of its pack into the grave. Circe's energy was tapped out -- she managed a basic attack to finish off the Hellhound prior. Now it was Omen's turn to do the same. He marched forward. The Hellhound did not appear to have much fight left in it. It gave a warning snap at the air between them, but whether warning or meager attack in actuality, it mattered not. Omen raised his axe and buried it in the muzzle of the Hellhound, clefting the beast in twain. A sound like shattering glass filled the air as it was destroyed and carried away by the volcanic wind of the Inferno Cavern. Omen stowed his shield and axe. 

"And now we retreat," he rumbled. 

{Omen takes 15 DMG from Inferno Cavern}
Action Taken: [Basic Attack] [-1 EN]
Hellhound 3: ID#232481 MD: 1 (Fail) BD: 6+2 (Hit) - Hellhound 3 takes 10 DMG 

(H: 4) Omen: 57/115 | EN: 13/28 | DMG: 10 | MIT:49 | ACC:2 | THORNS:28 | REGEN: 2 [2 Regen 1/3]
(H: 1) Circe: HP: 45/100 | EN: 1/28 | DMG: 15 | MIT:0 | ACC:3 | EVA:2  

Hellhound 1: HP: 0/200 | DMG: 50
Hellhound 2: HP: 0/200 | DMG: 50
Hellhound 3: HP: 0/200 | DMG: 50
Hellhound 4: HP: 0/200 | DMG: 50

Looting: 

Hellhound 3: ID: 232482 | LD: 14+0=14 | CD:5+0=5 | Col:1000, Mats:2, [232482a] T1 Rare Weapon, [232482b] T1 Uncommon Consumable     

Edited by Omen

With a crunch, Omen buried his axe into the lone pack monster.  With that, the remaining Hellhounds needed were slain, all that remained was that they prepare for the boss fight.

On the way out, a yellow chest icon appeared in Circe's UI prompting her to keep an eye out for any treasure chests in the area, but whether it was due to her wanting to escape the heat or just pure bad luck, she did not seem to find any, drats.

Once outside, they were met with fresh air, well, fresher than what was in the cavern.  Circe once again crouched down, wiping the sweat from her brow.  "That went a lot better than I thought it was."  she gave a small smirk, "Good call, Omen."

"Anything we should worry about with this boss fight?"  Circe spoke up, wanting to plan out the encounter while they regened their health and energy.

Treasure Chest Search:  ID#232486  LD: 12 WOMP WOMP

+15HP

1/3 EN RECOVERY

Edited by Circe

They escaped Inferno Cavern once more, and stood outside once more, allowing their HP and EN to recover. Their hit and run tactic had gone well, and even better when they had decided to push the offensive. Circe seemed to agree. 

"It could have gone smoother, all things considered." Omen adjusted the weapon and shield on his back. They were not cumbersome, but they were definitely unwieldy. He did not want to always have his hands filled, though. It made interacting with his menus a pain. Omen rolled his neck and thought about what was to come. "But yes. It was better." 

"Cerberus is a single mob with multiple HP bars. It's functionally three entities. The plan is the same. The only difference between this fight and the last is that this time, I may need to heal myself. Cerberus has a chance to afflict Burn on a hit. If I take Burn damage, it will mean I will likely need to focus on healing." 

HP: +15 
EN: 1/3 

She listened as Omen laid out the plan for Cerberus, her mind already running through possible scenarios. The mention of Burn status wasn’t surprising—it was, after all, Inferno Cavern. But hearing that Cerberus had multiple health bars was another level of complication. Three entities wrapped into one fight. It meant a prolonged battle, and one misstep could easily turn it in Cerberus' favor.

"Three health bars, huh?" Circe mused, her gaze sharp. "That’s annoying."

She straightened up, adjusting her gear and checking her inventory to make sure she was prepared for the next fight. Healing potions? Check. Buff foods? Check. She even had a few emergency crystals, just in case.

"If you get hit with Burn, I can help cover while you heal too, just call for it. But if Cerberus locks onto me, I’m going to be dodging more than usual—I won’t last long if I tank a few hits from that thing."

EN: 2/3 

Omen shook his head. "No, I will be fine. I should be able to heal myself. You can't take the hits like I can -- putting you in that position could very easily lead to the worst outcome." 

He thought about it some more, but replied more quickly this time. "The plan is the same. Begin with an AoE. If you can do it twice, even if it means hitting one less target, then do it again. After that, it should just be a matter of picking off the remaining heads." 

Omen idly swiped through his menus. His health was recovering, and so was his energy. It wouldn't be much longer before they headed back into the cavern. He just wanted to double check and make sure that he had, this time, done everything that he could to make sure that they entered this next fight prepared. "If Cerberus is more accurate with its strikes, it will be dealt damage as well. I do not believe that the three heads are any sturdier than the Hellhounds."

EN: 2/3

Edited by Omen

Circe nodded, accepting Omen’s logic. He was right—she couldn’t take hits like he could. If she tried, things could spiral out of control fast, and they couldn’t afford that with Cerberus. Still, she didn’t like the idea of relying on him to tank all the damage. If something went wrong, she’d need to stay sharp and ready to adjust.

"Alright," she said, running a hand through her damp hair, which was sticking to the back of her neck. "I’ll start with AoEs, and if I’ve got enough energy left after the first round, I’ll follow up with another one. I’ll make sure to hit as many heads as possible."

She opened her menu, checking her energy potions and consumables again. It was a habit, making sure she had everything she needed before a big fight. This time, she wasn’t leaving anything to chance. Circe wasn’t keen on getting cooked alive in this oven of a cavern.

Her eyes flicked over to Omen. He looked steady, confident. He was the tank for a reason, after all. He’d absorb the damage, and her job was to make sure Cerberus didn’t stick around long enough to make that damage overwhelming.

"You’re probably right," Circe said, her voice thoughtful as she looked back toward the entrance to the cavern. "If Cerberus isn’t much sturdier than the Hellhounds, then we can handle this. We’ll wear it down just like before—keep the pressure up and don’t give it a chance to regroup."
3/3 EN

"Alright," he said. "Then it is decided." 

They were settled. Now all that was left was to execute it. Their health was basically full, and Omen was itching to get it over with. Was that not a little rash? Maybe. But maybe it was also better to act now, when the plan was still fresh in their mind, and they didn't have time to consider how it could possibly go wrong. 

"Let's go," Omen said firmly. He began to walk towards the cavern's entrance. "Our health will not be full, but that will not matter. I'll use a crystal to mitigate the first instance of damage and keep us on track." 

As they approached, he saw it fit to remind her: "Do not forget about your potions. Use them if it gets rough. I will be doing the same. We may have to play defensively in this fight if the worst occurs. We will adjust as necessary." 

3/3 EN
+15 HP

Edited by Omen

Circe took a deep breath as they re-entered the cavern, the oppressive heat hitting them immediately. This was it—the final stretch. She walked ahead of Omen, her daggers at the ready, eyes sharp and focused. The deeper they went, the more the tension mounted, but Circe's nerves were steeled. They had a plan, and they were sticking to it. Cerberus wasn’t going to know what hit it.

She led them through the familiar path, past the smoldering pools of lava and jagged rocks. Every step closer brought the sound of Cerberus’s low, rumbling growls echoing off the cavern walls. The spawn room was just ahead. Circe glanced back at Omen briefly, giving a firm nod.

The air inside the chamber was stifling, a mix of molten heat and the pungent smell of sulfur. In the center of the room stood Cerberus, towering and monstrous. Its three heads snapped and snarled, each glowing with fiery eyes. Lava dripped from its jaws as it watched them approach.

Without a word, Circe sprinted forward, her movements swift and deliberate. Her hands flicked out, launching a barrage of throwing knives aimed at the massive creature. The moment her attack hit, she unleashed her AoE, her blades slicing through the air and landing with deadly precision.

Thud, thud, thud. The impacts echoed in the chamber, and Cerberus let out a furious roar as all three heads reeled from the attack. She'd hit each one hard. As she skidded back into a defensive stance, Circe could see that each head was already below half health. They were off to a good start, but she knew better than to get cocky.  Next was for Omen to draw their attention off of her, so she could start finishing things off.

{Circe takes 15 DMG from Inferno Cavern}
Action Taken:  AOE-I (9 + [2 * 3] -15 EN)

Head 1: ID#232496  BD: 9+3=12 (Minor Crit) DMG: 9*16=144
Head 2: ID#232497  BD: 3+3=6 (Hit)  DMG: 9*15=135
Head 3: ID#232498 BD: 5+3=8 (Hit)  DMG: 9*15=135

(H: 0,0,0) Omen: 102/115 | EN: 28/28 | DMG: 10 | MIT:49 | ACC:2 | THORNS:28 | REGEN: 2
(H: 1,1,1) Circe: HP: 75/100 | EN: 13/28 | DMG: 15 | MIT:0 | ACC:3 | EVA:2  

Head #1: HP: 56/200 | DMG: 40
Head #2: HP: 65/200 | DMG: 40
Head #3: HP: 65/200 | DMG: 40

Edited by Circe

Circe's attacks each landed with a deadly precision. Omen grinned. This was it! 

"How's that, Circe?" He roared, suddenly filled with jubilation. "This is our perfect victory!" 

All of the stress, the heat, the uncertainty... it all faded away, replaced by pride and joy. There was nothing to worry about. They'd finally done it. Omen's voice filled Inferno Cavern one last time, though there was only one beast remaining to hear it. He held his shield high and drew a crystal with his other hand. He crushed it in his palm. The taste of rum filled their mouths but Omen barely tasted it. His eyes were on Cerberus and its snapping heads. Miss, miss, hit! He caught its jaws with the edge of his shield and drove it back, away from Circe. The damage it dealt was minimal. 

Action Taken: [Howl] [-2 EN] 
Free Action: Using x1 Rumbling Rum Party Favor: +10% HP to Party 
Head 1: ID#232508 MD: 3 (Miss) 
Head 2: ID#232510 MD: 4 (Miss) 
Head 3: ID#232511 MD: 6 (Hit) - 40-49 = 1 DMG // Takes 28 Thorns 

(H: 2,2,2) Omen: 100/115 | EN: 26/28 | DMG: 10 | MIT:49 | ACC:2 | THORNS:28 | REGEN: 2 [2 Regen, 1/3] 
(H: 1,1,1) Circe: HP: 85/100 | EN: 13/28 | DMG: 15 | MIT:0 | ACC:3 | EVA:2  

Head #1: HP: 56/200 | DMG: 40
Head #2: HP: 65/200 | DMG: 40
Head #3: HP: 37/200 | DMG: 40

Abilities:
Triple Threat | Each head functions as its own entity, with its own health bar.  <<Cerberus>> makes a separate attack per head still alive. 
Glowing Maw | The fiery jaws of the beast leave targets sundered. On MD 9-10, the Cerberus will ignore 50% (rounded up) of the target’s Mitigation and inflict Burn on them for two rounds dealing 10 unmitigated damage per turn.

Edited by Omen

Circe grinned at Omen's shout, a rush of satisfaction swelling inside her. They were closing in on their perfect victory, and she wasn’t about to let this moment slip away. She darted forward, keeping her focus sharp, the adrenaline coursing through her veins like fire.

She threw her daggers once more, her AoE aimed at the first and second heads. The blades flew true, and with a sickening thud, the first head went limp, falling to the ground with a heavy crash. One down. But as she pivoted to strike the second head, it jerked violently to the side, dodging her attack entirely.

“Damn,” Circe muttered under her breath. The second head let out a guttural snarl, its glowing eyes locking onto her. She braced herself, shifting her weight.

"First one's down, but the second—" she called out to Omen, the heat of the moment making her voice tight. "Missed it!"

Cerberus growled, its remaining heads snapping with renewed fury. Despite the miss, Circe knew they had the upper hand. The beast was wounded, and it was only a matter of time before they brought the whole thing down. She readied herself for another strike, her grip on her daggers tightening.

"Keep pushing," she said, her silver eyes flashing with determination. "We’re almost there!"

Circe takes 15 DMG from Inferno Cavern}
Action Taken:  AOE-I (9 + [2 * 1] -11 EN)

Head 1: ID#232527  BD: 6+3=9 (Hit)  DMG: 9*15=135
Head 2: ID#232528  BD: 1 (Crit Miss)  DMG: 0

(H: 2,2,2) Omen: 102/115 | EN: 28/28 | DMG: 10 | MIT:49 | ACC:2 | THORNS:28 | REGEN: 2
(H: 1,1,1) Circe: HP: 60/100 | EN: 4/28 | DMG: 15 | MIT:0 | ACC:3 | EVA:2  

Head #1: HP: 0/200 | DMG: 40
Head #2: HP: 65/200 | DMG: 40
Head #3: HP: 37/200 | DMG: 40

Looting Head 1 ID#232537  LD: 8  CD: 1 | Uncommon Consumable (1), 1000 col, 2 Materials

Edited by Circe

"That's fine," Omen barked back. There was something about fighting a mob bigger than yourself that got your adrenaline pumping. It couldn't harm him, technically -- but no, that wasn't true. He could inflict Burn and kill him slowly. It could grow more aggressive or behave erratically, and throw their plan out the window. And all the while, the heat slowly whittled them down. Omen had known that getting put on the defensive would be the worst case scenario for the both of them. That was why it was all the more important to push the offensive. 

"Almost there!" Omen agreed. One of Cerberus's heads snapped at him and fell short, but Omen's axe replied in kind. It struck both hard, halving their remaining HP values. When the second head lunged at him, Omen's was quick to react. He rose his shield and the blow glanced off the banded iron, proccing the Thorns enhancement. It was enough to kill itself. 

Only one head remained. 

Action Taken:  [AOE-I] [-5 EN] 
Head 1: ID#232532 BD: 7+2 (Hit) MD: 2 (Miss) - 10*3 = 30 DMG 
Head 2: ID#232533 BD: 7+2 (Hit) MD: 8 (Hit) - 10*3 = 30 DMG || 40-49= 1 DMG to Omen // Takes 28 THORNS 

(H: 3) Omen: 88/115 | EN: 22/28 | DMG: 10 | MIT:49 | ACC:2 | THORNS:28 | REGEN: 2
(H: 1,) Circe: HP: 60/100 | EN: 4/28 | DMG: 15 | MIT:0 | ACC:3 | EVA:2  

Head #2: HP: 35/200 | DMG: 40
Head #3: HP: 0/200 | DMG: 40

Looting: 

Head 3: ID: 232536 | LD: 9+0=9 | CD:10+0=10 | Col:1200, Mats:2, [232536a] T1 Rare Trinket

Edited by Omen

Circe watched as Omen’s axe carved into the two remaining heads, and she saw one fall limp as the Thorns effect took it out. Only one head remained now, but it wasn’t done yet. The final head snapped furiously at Omen, its fiery eyes filled with rage, but it was clear the beast was on its last legs.

Circe didn't waste time. She dashed in, her daggers at the ready, and with a swift motion, she hurled one of them at the remaining head. The blade struck true, embedding itself deep into the creature’s neck. Cerberus howled in pain, staggering backward, but it still wasn’t down. The last head was hanging on by a thread.

“Almost there,” she muttered under her breath, already preparing for the final strike. She could see it—the victory was within reach. They had pushed through the heat, the hounds, and now Cerberus itself was crumbling before them.

Circe takes 15 DMG from Inferno Cavern}
Action Taken: Basic Attack on Head 2

Head 2: ID#232534  BD: 8+3= 11 (Hit)   DMG: 15

(H: 2) Omen: 102/115 | EN: 28/28 | DMG: 10 | MIT:49 | ACC:2 | THORNS:28 | REGEN: 2
(H: 1) Circe: HP: 45/100 | EN: 5/28 | DMG: 15 | MIT:0 | ACC:3 | EVA:2  

Head #2: HP: 20/200 | DMG: 40

Edited by Circe

Circe's attack landed. She didn't have the Energy left for a Sword Art, so the attack didn't do much. But it did put it in range for Omen to kill it, whether it be by attack or Thorns. It didn't take long for Omen to decide what it would be. 

Push the offensive. Omen ditched the shield and charged. 

Cerberus snarled, startled by the sudden approach. In the end, it was no different than your average dog. Except this one had spit fire and had magma in its gut. Omen swung the simple axe and buried it in the chest of the beast, dug his feet in, and then pushed it even further. Cerberus's growls turned quickly into a sharp yelp, and then it was no more. It burst into a cloud of light, leaving Omen and Circe in the cavern alone. 

"It's settled." Omen declared. 

- - - 

Later, outside the Inferno Cavern, Omen and Circe returned to the quest giver to claim the bounty on Cerberus's head. It was a simple exchange. NPCs either had much to say, or very little, from Omen's experience. Omen found that he personally preferred the latter. 

"On to the next?" Omen asked. 

Action Taken: [ST-I] [-4 EN] 
Head 2: ID#232538 BD: 6+2 (Hit) - 10*4= 40 DMG 

(H: 3) Omen: 75/115 | EN: 19/28 | DMG: 10 | MIT:49 | ACC:2 | THORNS:28 | REGEN: 2
(H: 1) Circe: HP: 45/100 | EN: 5/28 | DMG: 15 | MIT:0 | ACC:3 | EVA:2  

Head #2: HP: 0/200 | DMG: 40

Looting: 

Head 2: ID: 232539 | LD: 8+0=8 | CD:4+0=4 | Col:1400, Mats:0, [232539a] T1 Uncommon Consumable

Edited by Omen

Circe stretched, rolling her shoulders as the weight of the fight finally left her body. The battle had been intense, but in the end, it was theirs. The oppressive heat of Inferno Cavern still clung to her skin, but standing in the open air felt like a reward in itself.

She watched as the NPC handed over their reward without much fanfare, her eyes briefly scanning the amount. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t their greatest haul either. Still, it was satisfying knowing they’d taken down Cerberus together. She glanced at Omen, who seemed as focused as ever, already looking to the next challenge.

"Yeah," she replied, slipping her daggers back into their holsters. "That went better than expected. I’m ready for whatever’s next, but let’s hope it’s something that doesn’t involve being roasted alive without the proper skill." She smirked, adjusting her gear.

Circe’s mind was already running through possibilities. What kind of mob would they face next? What kind of plan would they need to take it down? The thrill of the hunt, of sharpening her skills, was still there, even after a brutal fight like that.

"Lead the way," she said, her tone light but focused.

Edited by Circe

<<THREAD SUMMARY>>

Omen Receives:

[Word Count: 6579/10 = 657.9] * [True Tier: 1] * [Group Factor: 0.7] = 461 + 1000 (Quest Reward) = 1461*2 (Recruitment Drive) = 2,922 EXP 
Cerberus Soul (T1/Unique/Consumable/Single-Use) | For the duration of a thread, natural successful attack rolls of 8-10 deal 12 unmitigated Burn damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. Burn damage does not stack, but can be refreshed. The Burn enhancement overrides this effect.

Circe Receives:

[Word Count: 6579/10 = 657.9] * [True Tier: 1] * [Group Factor: 0.7] = 461 + 1000 (Quest Reward) = 1461*2 (Recruitment Drive) = 2,922 EXP 
Cerberus Soul (T1/Unique/Consumable/Single-Use) | For the duration of a thread, natural successful attack rolls of 8-10 deal 12 unmitigated Burn damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. Burn damage does not stack, but can be refreshed. The Burn enhancement overrides this effect.